Campaign to put a stop to the use of Shannon Airport by the U.S Military and to make Trinity College Dublin divest from war-related stocks.
The United States, with more than 800 military bases in 70 countries and its aggressive interventionist foreign policy, has been the single biggest driver of Western imperialism for decades, toppling democratically-elected governments it does not see aligned with its political agenda and plundering countries for natural resources such as oil, all with tragic consequences for the men, women and children living there.
Shannon Airport, in Ireland, is part of the bloody U.S war machine. Shannon Airport has been used by the US military for almost two decades now, and “it is effectively a forward operating base used to support their operations in the Middle East, with approximately three million US troops and their weapons, regular US Air Force/Navy cargo planes, and an unknown number of CIA extraordinary rendition flights passing through since 2002” (PANA and Shannonwatch).
It must be then recognized, that the erosion of Irish neutrality is inextricably linked to the regular use of Shannon Airport by the U.S military and that therefore the Irish government, by their inaction, is indirectly complicit in the U.S’s bloody and devastating wars across the globe. This is not to mention that U.S military troops travelling into Shannon breached Covid-19 rules multiple times.
We, University students, also need to take part in the international struggle against imperialism and the war industry.
Recently, a motion was put forward to the Trinity College Dublin Students’ Union (TCDSU) by our Chair on a long-term policy of putting a stop to the use of Shannon Airport by the U.S Military. It was a proposed referendum to the wider student body, who would have had the opportunity to express their opinions on the important question of Irish neutrality.
Unfortunately, it was voted down 77% to 23% by Council members. This was certainly surprising, as the latest polls indicate an 82% support of Irish neutrality in all its aspects, not to mention the fact that the USI already passed an interim policy on the issue or that Trinity College Dublin has been awarded ‘Sanctuary status’ (i.e. welcoming for asylum-seekers), an name which it should live up to.
We currently have a motion in the works for Council to be mandated to campaign for TCD to divest from the war-industry.
THEREFORE, the Students4Peace campaign, based in TCD and supported by PANA, is created to :
- Pursue the goals of ending Irish involvement in U.S foreign affairs and to ensure a neutral Ireland by advocating for U.S withdrawal from Shannon Airport
- Pursue the goal of making Trinity College Dublin divest from war-related stocks. As of 2017, Trinity College Dublin invests ~2,6 million euros into Arms and Weaponry manufacturers, such as BAE systems, Lockheed Martin and the Boeing Company through its endowment fund.
- Pursue the goals of supporting the people of Myanmar against the military dictatorship.
- Pursue the goals of ending Trinity’s involvement with Declan Ganley, a multimillionaire who is involved with the war-industry and the far-right.
- Support TCD BDS.
The following are action point(s) which you can take to help the campaign:
- Share this site into your course group chats, so as to spread awareness of the issue .
- Share this site on your social medias, as posts and stories, tagging @students4change_group (on Instagram) or @S4C_group (Twitter) and the hashtag #IrishNeutrality, #Students4Change and #Students4Peace.
- To this end, you can easily re-share our posts from Instagram and Twitter.
- If you are at another University, we encourage you to get the discussion going by engaging with your student union and to share the Students4Peace campaign around. To this end, we recommend you send a FOI request to (or consult the financial statements of) your Universities in order to uncover their investments in war-related stocks. Our FOI requests to base yours on can be found in the article that details TCD’s 2.6 million € investments in the arms-industry.
- Buy ‘Coalition of the Unwilling’ from Connolly Books, a great book on the subject of Shannon Airport.
- Join us and further contribute to this cause!
Here are other articles relating to Students 4 Peace.